You may not know it from this week’s cooler temperatures, but it is officially springtime in Geneva. Along with sunlight lingering later in the day, the first bloom appearing on Geneva’s Marronnier Officiel, and seasonal decks and patios popping up throughout the city, one of my favorite harbingers of spring is also one of Lake Geneva’s main attractions this season: the annual Tulip Festival in nearby Morges.
The festival, held lakeside in the Parc de l’Indépendance, boasts more than 300 varieties of tulips (more than 120,000 blooms in all) plus unrivaled views of Lake Geneva and the Alps. This year, the six-week festival kicks off on March 29th and lasts until May 11th.
Several special events will be held in the upcoming weeks, including:
- April 5-6: Sports and Tulips. Try out different sports, including yoga, zumba, rugby, pilates, and more throughout the park.
- April 11: Children’s Parade along the Quai du Mont-Blanc and the Grand-Rue of Morges
- April 12-13: Potters among the tulips. More than 80 ceramics sellers will be set up in the park for visitors to browse and buy.
- April 21: Brunch among the Tulips. At the canteen at Relais Independence Park from 11:00 to 14:30, enjoy a brunch of seasonal delights. Reservations are required. More information about the brunch is available here.
- April 26-27: Tulip Days featuring Istanbul. Turkish music, food, and crafts will be featured the last weekend in April.
- May 3-4: Music and Stories. All weekend long, enjoy music and try out CityGolf for free.
- May 10-11: Families Days. A bouncy castle, balloon animals, a climbing wall, and more will be available in the park.
- May 14: Closing of the festival.
Getting there: From Geneva, Morges is 30-35 minutes by train and 40 minutes by car. Public parking is available at Parking du Centre-Ville à Morges. Parc de l’Indépendance is a 5-10 minute walk from the train station / parking garage.
Admission charges: Admission to the tulip festival is free and all areas are handicapped accessible. There is a small restaurant on site. Practical information for the festival is available here.
We are a group of international women living in Geneva, Switzerland. If you would like to join the AIWC, please visit our website at http://www.aiwcgeneva.org/