A nice day trip from Geneva is to the city of Bern. Bern is the capital of Switzerland. I like Bern because it is quintessential Swiss, while being a large city. Luzern is also similar in feel.
What is there to do in Bern?
- The large main street has beautiful architecture. It is interesting to walk down the street. I found the storefronts below the street’s surface interesting.
- You can walk to the end of town to see the bears. I’d also recommend the brewery that overlooks the bear park.
- There is a neat neighborhood with charming little flats located just below the brewery. It is nice to take a stroll and check out the cute village feel of this area.
- There is a really nice riverfront. In the summer, you can do the “Bern River Float” and let the river carry you while renting a cabana for your stuff. However, the day that my friend and I went in June, it was too cold.
- If the weather is overcast, or if you happen to be a museum buff vs architecture buff anyhow, there are many museums in Bern including Paul Klee and Einstein. There is a website that lists all the information in English.
Here are a few snapshots from our visit:
What do you think of Bern? Any other tips that I missed?
We are a group of international women living in Geneva, Switzerland. If you would like to join the AIWC, please visit our website at http://www.aiwcgeneva.org/.